The Russian Money museum is located on the territory of Peter and Paul fortress in the building of Anna's Cavalier (Anninskiy Cavalier).
Cavalier (French: сavalier – a horseman) is a structure inside the bastion built higher than its walls. The walls of cavalier served as an additional defense line in case of the enemy attack.
The first cavalier was built from earth and wood inside Golovkin Bastion in 1705. Under the project of Domenico Trezzini in 1731-1733 a stone cavalier was built in its place. It got the name Anninskiy in honor of Empress Anna. Enforced with the cavalier, Golovkin Bastion became the strongest bastion of the Peter and Paul Fortress.
Cavalier was surrounded with a ditch on three sides. To lift the weapon to the combat area, in 1795-1796 the cavalier was connected with the left flank of Golovkin Bastion by an arched brick bridge that replaced the initial wooden one.
The cavalier acquired its present appearance in 1836-1837: the facade was decorated with brick breastwork. In 1837 building was adapted for an artillery arsenal - a storage for military trophies and weaponry. During the Great Patriotic war the building was damaged with fragments of shells and bombs. At the beginning of the 1950s it was restored and in 1961 was given over to the Leningrad Mint for the production needs. In 2007 the services and warehouses of the Saint-Petersburg Mint were moved outside the Peter and Paul Fortress. Anninskiy Cavalier as well as the House of Fund Assets which stands nearby were vacated of equipment, coin blanks, spare parts and materials. JSC Goznak carried out a restoration of the historical buildings and the adjoining territory as well.
After the restoration works were over, The Russian Money museum was opened.